Get a Google Plus Profile
If you already have a Google Plus profile, you can ignore this step.
You should only have one Google Plus account, and it’s best to use your real name. If you have a personal Gmail address, that’s the one you’ll want to use for Google Plus. If not, go ahead and sign up for one. You don’t need to start a new Gmail account to use for business listings because now you can transfer ownership and assign multiple managers (no more finding out the guy you fired has the keys to your business listing).
Create Your Google Plus Local Listing
- In your Google Plus account, navigate to Pages (this will probably be under the More tab on the left).
- Click the Create New Page button (top right).
- Select Local Business or Place (very important).
- Enter your business phone number.
- If your business appears in the list, then you already have a Places listing, and you should follow this guide instead. If not, or if another business shows up, create a new listing by clicking Add your business to Google.
- Add your address exactly how it appears on your website, and anywhere else online (NAP consistency is important, and you should do always do your best to maintain it).
- Confirm the map marker location, and press OK.
- Enter your business name and add a link to your website. NOTE: Be sure to use your “Doing Business As” name (Ex. Safeway, not Safeway Edmonton Grocery Store)
- Once you press continue, you’ll see a mostly empty Google Plus page. Click Finish, and fill in as many of the remaining fields as possible.
Verify Your Listing
Right beside your business name, it will say Unverified. Click that. Then click the Verify now button. Verify that your address is correct and send the postcard. Then keep an eye out for it to arrive in the next week or two.
When you receive your postcard, log into your Google Plus account, visit the page, and enter the PIN.